Saturday, October 1, 2011

Is fall upon us?

     I sure hope so! Much has happened since my last posting. Selection went extremely well and long story short I managed to position myself in the upper 4 of our class physically (which is mice since I was one of the elder class members), and top 2 peer rating...the board went well and I was retained and moved into a position of greater responsibility. I was also fairly spent afterward, but definitely glad it was over. 


    The biggest reason of this post is to clear the air for myself. My brother asked me to do a half IM with him after I completed the Pinhoti 100 miler last year. "Sure," I thought, "I ran 100 miles, how hard can a half IM be? I have a solid amount of ultra experience, this should equate to a good workout..." WRONG!


     I did not prepare myself well at all. I thought going to the pool and swimming 1200 meters three times a week was doing something. I had trained well on my bike for a bit, but did not ride for 3 weeks prior to the race. Couple poor training with poor nutrition and you have disaster. I finished, and it being my first one that is usually the goal for any of my "firsts" get it done, and then expound upon it the next time  take a crack at it and try to shatter previous performances. 


     The swim, well, I had never swum in open water nor in a wet suit. I could not take a breathe in with the wet suit on so I had to swim with my head out of the water which slowed me considerably. I lost at least 4 to 5 minutes on that whole fiasco alone...


     Transition the bike was fast and efficient. The ride was going extremely well until the last 5 or 6 mile sin which I had begun to cramp. First in one leg, then the other once I got the first one squared away. So basically I looked like a clown the last 5 to 6 miles pedaling with one leg and holding the other straight out to shake the cramp...


      Another smooth transition and off to the run. First two miles were at an 8 minute mile pace and then I just ran out of energy, I would run between aid stations and walk through the aid station. The sun finally came out at this point and gave me one heck of a beat down. By the end I was reduced to running a quarter mile max and walking for  a couple minutes...


Overall finish time 6:14:32...not bad I guess...but I know I am a 5:15 to 5:30 half IM guy...therefor I will have to do this again...darn it! lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment